An important advantage of attending a PK-8 school is having the opportunity to make the very best high school choice. The PK-8 program at Norwood is uniquely designed to prepare young adolescents for this next step in their educational journey. Children change dramatically in the elementary and middle school years. A high school that seemed ideal when a child was four or five may be entirely inappropriate in light of a student’s interests and abilities at age 13 or 14. In keeping with the School’s mission, our ultimate goal is for each student to attend a high school that ensures continued social, emotional, and academic growth.
Norwood maintains strong ties with all of the independent secondary schools in the greater Washington, D.C. area, as well as a number of boarding schools throughout the country. High school admission officers and administrators remark year after year how much they love Norwood students, not only because they are well prepared academically but also because they are good school citizens who enthusiastically dive into the culture and community of their new schools.
Throughout the search process, Norwood works in partnership with families, guiding them through a sequence of steps designed to find the right school and right fit for every eighth grader. Specifically, the School’s High School Placement Team:
- Consults with families beginning in the spring of seventh grade to identify a list of schools that target a student’s individual strengths and interests.
- Provides mock interview practice and feedback.
- Holds SSAT prep class during study halls, beginning in October.
- Hosts the annual Secondary School Fair, which features visits from more than 100 day and boarding schools.
- Prepares a comprehensive admissions packet of information for every eighth grade student.
- Visits with admission officers to personally present each Norwood candidate.
- Provides ongoing one-on-one consultation and guidance for families.
- Advises families about course selection and placement for both independent and public schools.
- Facilitates discussions with eighth graders concerning the HSP process, supporting each other during this exciting time of change and decision making.
Norwood School has an excellent record for high school placement. Every year, our students move on to leading independent day schools, boarding schools, and highly rated public high schools with the academic ability, confidence, and enthusiasm for learning to be successful in high school, and for the college and career experiences that follow.
If you have any questions about the high school placement process at Norwood, please contact Dennis Campbell
, Head of Middle School Head, or Cathy Russo
, Assistant to the Head of School and High School Placement Coordinator.