Founded in 1952, Norwood School is a coeducational day school with approximately 440 students in kindergarten through eighth grade. The School sits on 38 beautiful and expansive acres in Bethesda, Maryland, less than six miles from Washington, D.C.
The School seeks a Director of Annual Giving to join the Development Office on July 1, 2017. This a full-time, 12-month position and works in close partnership with the Director of Development. The Director of Annual Giving will build upon an established and successful program that raises over $800,000 from Norwood’s various constituencies. In collaboration with the Director of Development, department staff, volunteers, trustees, and the Development Committee, the Director of Annual Giving will develop a strategic plan of action with objectives, timelines, and analytics for the Annual Fund, including identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of constituents. Volunteer engagement is essential to the success of the Fund, and the Director of Annual Giving is central to identifying, cultivating, and managing a dedicated volunteer team.
A bachelor’s degree and development experience required. The ideal candidate will demonstrate an ability to take initiative, work independently as well as collaboratively, organize and prioritize in order to meet deadlines, as well as multi-task on a regular basis; will have the capacity to maintain confidentiality and to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing; and have mastery of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge. Knowledge of social media strategies and an ability to create content to drive increased engagement is desirable. A willingness to work some nights and weekends is required. A sense of professionalism and humor in dealing with donors, volunteers and colleagues as well as demonstrated passion for independent education in general will define the strongest candidate.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and guide the tone, focus, and content of the Annual Fund cycle; design, implement, and supervise appropriate strategies with a special emphasis on the current comprehensive campaign
- Create and maintain the solicitation schedule; track and analyze results; communicate progress and produce financial and status reports; conduct donor research; and expand and maintain volunteer involvement
- Recruit, train, manage, and mentor team of 25+ volunteers
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward potential new donors and increase support from current donors
- Work closely with the Alumni Coordinator to identify opportunities to grow alumni giving
- Work with Database Manager to maintain gift monitoring, complete and accurate records of donor contacts, on-going communication with current and potential donors; ensure timely acknowledgement of contributions, integrity of data and database
- Assist with budget management by preparing Annual Giving expense budget and participate in the goal setting and budgeting process
- Write and edit letters, brochures, proposals, reports, visual displays, talking points, web content, and other materials related to Annual Giving
- Work with Director of Development and Database Manager to produce an Annual Report
- Maintain a visible presence in the community, participate in special events/projects as needed, and maintain an active pace of face-to-face meetings
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications, and competitive with similar positions in independent schools within the Washington, DC metro area. Norwood School offers a comprehensive benefits package and friendly work environment.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume, and references by March 1, 2017, to:
Director of Development
Norwood School does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.